[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-137 Global Policy for post exhaustion IPv4 allocation mechanisms by the IANA

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Mar 23 16:16:07 EDT 2011

On Mar 23, 2011, at 12:47 PM, Charles O'Hern wrote:

> While it seemed a good idea for the last 5 /8's to be handed out equally to the 5 RIR's, for perpetual policy I'm not sure if I like equal distribution over needs-based distribution.

I think that this is intended as policy based on the assumption that need exceeds supply and that
all 5 RIRs will have need in excess of 20% of the supply available at IANA at any given time.

I agree that policy should incorporate a needs basis absent that condition.

> I support policy to address assets returned to IANA set aside for re-allocation, just not the method of equal distribution.

Would you support equal distribution in an environment where need exceeds availability? If not, what
mechanism would you support for distributing space in such conditions?

> But if the only way to get this passed by all the RIRs is with the equal distribution clause, I would drop my objection.  I think its more important to allow IANA policy regarding
> returned assets than nitpick about the re-allocation method (as long as the assets are re-allocated).

Assuming, of course, that the idea of IANA having returned resources is not academic in nature.

Owen