[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-137 Global Policy for post exhaustion IPv4 allocation mechanisms by the IANA

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Thu Mar 17 01:47:15 EDT 2011

On 3/13/11 15:08 CDT, Jeffrey Lyon wrote:
> No, I would like to take whatever measures necessary to make sure that
> IANA never touches IPv4 space, ever again.
>
> Jeff

Too late, IANA still has some bits of IPv4.

 From the transcript of the APNIC meeting three weeks ago;

> Leo Vegoda: We actually appear to have about a /20 in bits and pieces of /24, which I think would be the seed for any reclamation pool were such a policy to be passed.
>
> Of course, if people don't want us to allocate those eight, I think it is, /24s, then we can probably just pass them out to staff and, you know, sort it out that way. In any case, we do have very small bits currently waiting for a policy. It's not really very much, so you probably don't want to go through a lot of effort just to get that /20. In any case, there is some space in /24s and no one is using it at the moment.

Should we leave them in jail at IANA? Or, put together a simple policy
that allows them out of jail to be put to use?

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952