[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-138 IPv6 Size Category Alignment

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Mon Mar 14 18:05:13 EDT 2011

Charles,

There is already an attempt to deal with this issue in Draft Policy
ARIN-2011-3: Better IPv6 Allocations for ISPs, in section 6.5.2.1(b), by
optionally allowing an ISP to request a /36 if they wish to retain the
X-small status in the IPv6 world.  This Draft Policy will be up for
discussion at the San Jaun meeting.

Do you object to that way of dealing with this issue?  If so, why?

The problem I with this proposal is that sets the default billing size
for all ISPs to the X-small size, which has the probable side effect of
a significant impact on ARIN's revenue from fees in the long term.
Where as the approach taken in 2011-3 allows X-small ISPs a choice
between a smaller allocation (/36) at the lower rate or the normal /32
at the normal rate.  In theory this should be more or less revenue
neutral for ARIN.  While not accidentally imposing a rate hike on
X-small ISPs.

While the fee structure itself is not really a policy issue.  There is
an undeniable interaction between the minimum allocation size, which is
a policy issue, and the fee structure, which is not, therefore the two
issues can not be completely and cleanly separated.

However, if we don't to come to consensus on 2011-3 then we should
probably deal with this as a separate issue and take up this proposal
and limit it to this issue only.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952