[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2011-5: Shared Transition Space for IPv4 Address Extension - IAB comment

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Tue Jun 28 13:29:17 EDT 2011

On 6/28/2011 10:08 AM, William Herrin wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Owen DeLong<owen at delong.com>  wrote:
>> On Jun 28, 2011, at 7:50 AM, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
>>> you can see all this of course in the minutes when the proposal was discussed in v6ops.
>>> http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/79/minutes/v6ops.txt
>>
>> Why was an IPv4 address space proposal given to v6ops?
>
> IETF v6ops could also use some help on the web side. This is a UTF-8
> document with unix end of lines being sent as text/plain with no
> charset. Unless the browser violates standards and makes a guess about
> what sort of document was sent, it comes up unreadable.

It displays fine in Internet Explorer.  You can also right-click and
save it to a directory and use vi to read it.

> Which is ironic since we're talking about protocols making (poor)
> guesses about what they can do depending on the assigned IP address.

Ironic but not surprising.  I used to admin at a software development
company that wrote networking software that ran on UNIX but the
programmers had absolutely no understanding of how a UNIX system was
administered.

Everyone has their specialties.  Few ever raise their eyes to look
beyond them.  Have you ever replaced the fuel filter in your car?
Do you know if it is due for it?

Ted