[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2011-1 - Inter-RIR Transfers - Shepherd's Inquiry

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 01:03:07 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 3:49 PM, Scott Leibrand <scottleibrand at gmail.com> wrote:

> If we pass an inter-RIR transfer policy that allows it, the most
> likely effect would be transfers from ARIN to APNIC.
> -Scott

I also think that's the most likely effect, and I oppose global (or
otherwise) Inter-RIR
transfer policies that allow a transfer of prefixes longer than a /8
between RIRs,
even with  a stipulation of "RIRs that support needs based policies"

No region is going to avoid IPv4 address exhaustion,  and Inter-RIR transfer
seems like an end-run around regions'  address management policies,
which would serve to introduce yet more uncertainty;  RIR policy should be
"Encourage networks to migrate to IPv6";  instead of encourage networks
to seek other region delegated addresses for networks out-of-region.

I am especially opposed to any Inter-RIR specified transfer policy or
practice of allowing an RIR member/organization to unilaterally remove
resources they are assigned from the jurisdiction of their  RIR,
or registry that delegates their resources.

RIR member interests in making Inter-RIR transfers will likely be financial/
self-serving and  not necessarily be in line with the community's best interests
in regards to  Inter-RIR transfer and considerations such as justified need.

Returning resources not needed in a  region to IANA is
more controllable and far safer.

Another safer possibility might be some form of "Revokable Inter-RIR
delegation";
allowing a RIR to delegate a resource to another RIR  (or other
Cross-regional LIR),
for cross-regional usage, for good justification, for the duration
which that resource is
maintained, and requiring all involved RIR/LIRs' policies be followed regarding
all further subdelegation  (including maintenance fees from both RIRs)
and continued justified need for the allocation.

Not only do inter-RIR transfer remove needed resources from the region, but
would fragment RIR managed address space.   A main reason a resource holder
would be interested in Inter-RIR transfer is likely to be 'policy shopping'.

What specific RIR a specific block of address space is designated to should
be determined by the IANA delegation,  not  individual RIR region
resource holders.
This is significant for filtering and other operational reasons.

If a  European or Asian organization should acquire or merge with an
organization
in the ARIN region;  that organization can and should enter agreement with ARIN
to continue to maintain IP resources for networks in the region,  and
continue under
the ARIN policies for those resources.

--
-JH