[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2011-1 - Inter-RIR Transfers - Shepherd's Inquiry

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Jun 21 14:23:37 EDT 2011

On Jun 21, 2011, at 10:37 AM, William Herrin wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 12:34 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>> On Jun 21, 2011, at 9:25 AM, William Herrin wrote:
>>> Oppose.
>>>
>>> 1. "compatible needs-based policies" is too vague to enforce.
>>> Including "needs-based" is nothing more than a poison pill aimed at
>>> APNIC but even if you take that out, how the heck is ARIN supposed to
>>> determine when another region's policies are "compatible?" The focus
>>> belongs on the registrant who either meets both registries' policies
>>> for receiving addresses or he doesn't.
>>>
>> The problem with that approach is that it doesn't prevent the target
>> registrant from subsequently transferring the addresses according only
>> to the local RIR's policy and then coming back for another inter-RIR
>> transfer.
>
> Hi Owen,
>
> Then that problem exists in ARIN policy and should be corrected in
> ARIN policy so that ARIN considers the disposition of all current and
> previously allocated resources when approving a new one. Otherwise
> you're asking folks in other regions to meet a higher standard than
> folks in our own region.

I'm not sure I follow you here Bill. What I'm saying is I don't want ARIN
to transfer resources to a region where the RIR does not preserve a
needs-basis on subsequent transfers of the addresses. ARIN does
preserve that requirement as the policy is currently written and I assure
you I will remain opposed to and am opposed to the proposals that
seek to change that.

>>> 2. The timing of this proposal is bad. Pushing this policy prior to
>>> the exhaustion of ARIN's free pool invites an out-region address grab.
>>> This draft policy belongs on next year's agenda when the only
>>> addresses left to move are registrant to registrant transfers.
>>>
>> There is at least one region where this is already the case. As such,
>> the policy is timely now.
>
> There's a region in which ARIN's free pool is exhausted? Which one?

There is a region in which that region's free pool is exhausted.

Owen