[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2011-1 - Inter-RIR Transfers - Shepherd's Inquiry

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Jun 21 12:34:20 EDT 2011

On Jun 21, 2011, at 9:25 AM, William Herrin wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 10:30 AM, Bill Darte <BillD at cait.wustl.edu> wrote:
>> Please provide you immediate, concise feeback which states your position for
>> or against the DP as changed from its earlier version and any reasoning you
>> may wish to provide.
>>
>> "Address resources may be transferred.... in or out of the ARIN region to
>> those who demonstrate need and plan to deploy them for a networking purpose
>> within 3 months. Such transfers will take place between RIRs who share
>> compatible, needs-based policies on behalf of entities agreeing to the
>> transfer and which otherwise meet both RIR's policies. Transferred resources
>> will become part of the resource holdings of the recipient RIR unless
>> otherwise agreed by both RIRs."
>
> Hi Bill,
>
> Oppose.
>
> 1. "compatible needs-based policies" is too vague to enforce.
> Including "needs-based" is nothing more than a poison pill aimed at
> APNIC but even if you take that out, how the heck is ARIN supposed to
> determine when another region's policies are "compatible?" The focus
> belongs on the registrant who either meets both registries' policies
> for receiving addresses or he doesn't.

The problem with that approach is that it doesn't prevent the target
registrant from subsequently transferring the addresses according only
to the local RIR's policy and then coming back for another inter-RIR
transfer.

> Other than that, the language looks reasonable to me.
>
> 2. The timing of this proposal is bad. Pushing this policy prior to
> the exhaustion of ARIN's free pool invites an out-region address grab.
> This draft policy belongs on next year's agenda when the only
> addresses left to move are registrant to registrant transfers.

There is at least one region where this is already the case. As such,
the policy is timely now. Admittedly this policy as written would not
help that region unless they choose to restore a needs-basis to
their policy framework, but I don't see any way to allow transfers
and preserve needs basis on the resources unless that is a
requirement.

Owen