[arin-ppml] UPDATE: ARIN Draft Policy 2011-5: Shared Transition Space

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 22:44:42 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 9:40 AM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>>    Upon notification by the IAB that that an address reservation should
>>    be made, ARIN is willing to proceed with the implementation of its
>>    Draft Policy 2011-5 which would result in ARIN reserving IPv4 /10
>>    block for shared transition.  The IANA is to record the allocation of
>>    the IPv4 address block for this purpose.  Alternatively, the IAB may
>>    direct the IANA to request return of sufficient address space from
>>    ARIN's available IPv4 number resource pool to allow the IANA to
>>    perform this reservation directly.
> To the best of my knowledge, this text reflects the readily available
> options for implementation of Draft Policy 2011-5.

Has ARIN considered the possibility of implementing 2011-5 using an experimental
activity resource allocation,  similar to that provided under section
11 of the NRPM
(but without the requirements),  or other type of resource allocation?

2011-05 states a "rationale" for allocating a /10,  but actually ARIN
does not need
a "rationale"  to reserve addresses; a  "reason" for the reservation
does not need to
be indicated in the policy.

In the same way ARIN can choose to reserve a /16  "for critical
infrastructure";
ARIN can reserve a /10 for  "address extension";  with exact intended purpose to
be determined later.

2011-05 could be revised to merely state:
"A second contiguous /10 IPv4 block will be reserved to facilitate
future IPv4 address extension.
This block will not be allocated or assigned to any organization, but
will be indicated as reserved."

The rest of the paragraph could be crossed out, and then the IAB would
have no basis
for objecting to ARIN's action of indicating a reserved block,
because it will merely
show as a permanently reserved /10,  for no purpose in particular.
Address resource policy does not NEED to explain or indicate an exact
intended use for the block.

An experimental allocation would also seem to accomplish 2011-05, and
not exceed ARIN's
authority, as ARIN already has a policy that allows ARIN to issue experimental
allocations.

"A second contiguous /10 IPv4 block will be reserved to facilitate IPv4
address extension."

"This block will not be allocated or assigned to any single organization, "

If there are technical issues to be determined, it would seem any use of
the suggested allocation would be experimental in nature.

Because there is no internet standard that would utilize the shared address
space,  any use of it for shared purpose,  would be inherently "experimental"
or  "unofficial".

--
-JH