[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-155 IPv4 Number Resources for Use Within Region

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Jul 7 11:50:38 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 10:11 AM, Tony Hain <alh-ietf at tndh.net> wrote:

> I agree, events have overtaken us. The open question is how we break the
> tendency to hoard in the face of famine. If we don't, the short term gain
> will result in a long term loss of the self-regulatory model.

A decade and a half ago, the principals behind APNIC made the case
that the global address registry (then the InterNIC) should be
replaced with a resource management model which follows geographic
borders. We're operating on their plan. If there is a GLOBAL desire to
return to a global registry model for any of our number resources,
that proposal should come in the front door, not the back.

ARIN should not permit itself to become a defacto global registry
through the expedient of turning a blind eye to outregion use of ARIN
region addresses. As well invite the ITU in and join a competitive
registry race to the bottom.

I don't like Robert's specific proposal, but I completely agree with
the concept. If we're going to remain regional in a world where IP
addresses now have a significant dollar value, lets make sure we're
actually being regional.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004