[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-155 IPv4 Number Resources for Use Within Region

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Thu Jul 7 00:45:43 EDT 2011

On 7/6/11 21:36 CDT, Tony Hain wrote:
> Jimmy Hess wrote:
>> Each RIR is a facilitator in distributing IP addresses
>> to networks and registries WITHIN that RIR's region.
>>
>> A RIR is not designed to be a facilitator in distributing IP addresses
>> or setting addressing policy for networks in other regions.
>
> Attempting to rewrite history by asserting an exclusionary mantra does not
> make it so. Organizations have always been free to join any RIR and do
> whatever that RIRs policy allows with any space allocated or assigned. The
> BS exclusionary mindset is a direct product of regional hoarding at the end
> of the free pool.
>
> This is an exceptionally bad approach to policy, and completely inconsistent
> with the notion that industry self-regulation is appropriate for managing
> the valuable global resources of network addressing. If we really are
> looking out for the good-of-the-whole, exclusionary tactics are out of
> scope. If we really believe exclusionary tactics are appropriate, bend over
> and get ready for the regulatory oversight that WILL arrive shortly ...
>
> Tony

Tony,

More or less, I want to agree with you.  But, how do you justify this
with ICP-2 and the concept of separate service regions.

http://www.icann.org/en/icp/icp-2.htm

Also, this come from a Policy Experience Report Question from San Juan;

https://www.arin.net/participate/meetings/reports/ARIN_XXVII/PDF/Monday/nobile_policy_experience.pdf

Slides 7 and 8;

This also plays into the questions of returning of space to IANA,
Inter-RIR transfers, needs based transfers in ARIN and non-needs based
transfers in APNIC, etc...

In some ways if ARIN could service anyone globally using its policies,
that might be a good way to deal with a bunch of sticky issues, but at
least on the surface that conflicts with ICP-2.  On the other hand, if
you allow that, you can raises a bunch of sticky issues too.  Can
someone move all or some of their registrations to another region?

I don't want to be exclusionary.  But then isn't the whole concept of
regional service areas suppose to be at least somewhat exclusionary?
Otherwise what is the meaning of regional service areas in ICP-2?

When there was an IANA free pool, we could wave our hands mumble
something that sounded good, go to the bar and keep getting rounds of
drinks until no one could remember what the question was.  But something
tells me that trick won't work no more.:)

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952