[arin-ppml] ARIN Draft Policy 2011-5: Shared Transition Space

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Tue Jul 5 21:13:48 EDT 2011

On 7/5/11 14:57 CDT, Chris Grundemann wrote:
> Hello,

> have compiled an Internet Draft analyzing the need for shared
> transition space. You can find it online here:
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bdgks-arin-shared-transition-space.
> The current -00 version is a very rough draft thrown together over a
> holiday weekend and there is a -01 version forthcoming. It should
> however give you a good enough feel for the structure and content of
> the document to provide feedback. We plan to attempt to incorporate
> feedback from the ARIN community before the draft deadline; 11, July,
> so your attention to this early this week is much appreciated.

Some suggestions;

Abstract

    This memo encourages the reservation of a Shared Transition Space, an
    IPv4 prefix designated for local use within a service provider networks
    during the period of IPv6 transition.  This address space has been
    proposed at various times in the IETF, and more recently

+ come to consensus within

    the ARIN policy development community.

-----
Section 1, 3rd paragraph, last sentence;

   After much discussion by the ARIN community, [ARIN-2011-5]

+ reached consensus and

    was recommended by the ARIN Advisory Council for approval by the ARIN
    Board of Trustees.

----
Please add something along the following lines to section 3.3.2. Return
or Transfer

A potential target for Prefix Squatting would be dormant or under
utilized IPv4 address space; However, the RIRs are targeting this same
dormant or under utilized address space for recycling through policies
for return and/or transfer of such address space.  Prefix Squatting,
would significantly degrade the effectiveness of this important policy
initiative on behalf of the RIRs.

----
7. IANA Considerations

    This memo includes no request to IANA.

I believe it is better for IANA to officially make the actual allocation
under the direction of the IAB, but since IANA no longer has the
inventory necessary for such an action it should coordinate with ARIN as
the donor of the space.

I suggest something like this;

	This document recommends the IAB direct IANA to reserve an IPv4 /10 for
use as
	Shared Transition Space.  IANA should coordinate with ARIN regarding
	[ARIN-2011-5] to receive the space from ARIN's inventory.

Additionally, I believe it would be a good idea to consider reverse DNS
for the /10.  As I suspect it will behave much like RFC1918 address
space for this consideration, should it be handled similar to RFC 1918
address space? That is, using the AS112 project. see:
http://public.as112.net/

There are RFCs in final stages of being published formalizing this;
See: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-as112-ops
See: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-default-local-zones

Also another draft just getting started defining additional IPv6 reverse
zones that should be treated the same way;
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-michaelson-as112-ipv6

Therefore, I also suggest something like this get added too;

	Further, IANA will delegate the IN-ADDR.ARPA reverse DNS zones
associated this
	Shared Transition Space to the AS112 project [ID.ietf-dnsop-as112-ops].

----
Finally, I'm not sure this goes in any specific place, but I have an
issue with the overall tone. In my opinion the current draft has more of
a tone that an allocation of a /10 for Shared Transition Space is the
best and only solution to this problem.

Where the really is more that none of the options, including this
allocation, are a universally good solution to this problem, many of the
other options are valid in some cases.   We need to set a more pragmatic
tone, there are no universally good solutions here, and what ever the
shortcomings of this solution, it is necessary for some operators.  So
lets make the allocation of a /10 for Shared Transition Space that is a
necessary option for a number of operators and allow everyone move on to
implementing IPv6.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952