[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-155 IPv4 Number Resources for Use Within Region

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Jul 2 17:43:49 EDT 2011

On Jul 2, 2011, at 10:17 AM, William Herrin wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Robert E. Seastrom
> <ppml at rs.seastrom.com> wrote:
>> Unfortunately there are no easy answers to a lot of the concerns that
>> folks have raised as reasons for opposing it.
>
> Hi Robert,
>
> Perhaps something along the lines of "Organizations holding
> ARIN-region IPv4 addresses shall employ IPv4 addresses within the ARIN
> region equivalent to at least 75% of the ARIN-region address holding.
> Failure to do so is deemed region-shopping fraud."

I'm not 100% sure that many existing and perfectly legitimate providers would
actually meet that test. There are 5 regions. Not wanting to deal with more than
one of them could lead to a provider having approximately 20% in each region
without "region shopping".

Perhaps instead of requiring a flat 75%, require that "Organizations holding
ARIN-region IPv4 addressses shall employ IPv4 addresses within the ARIN
region greater than or equal to their ARIN resource holdings deployed in any
single other region."

> This way you don't have to be super careful about which addresses you
> put where and you can use ARIN IPs in your minor overseas operations
> without getting in to trouble. But if you're really an out-region
> entity with a minor in-region presence, you don't get to go to ARIN
> for more addresses than your in-region presence justifies.

What if you're a global entity that has large networks in several regions?

Owen