[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-154 Shared Space for IPv4 Address Extension (w/IETF considerations) - Staff Comments

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sat Jul 2 04:04:33 EDT 2011

On Jul 2, 2011, at 9:16 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:

> Respectfully, John, as things stand at this moment, I disagree. I believe that
> proposal 154 calls for ARIN to designate and set aside the specific /10.
> While the board may be intending to do so, it is not clear that draft policy
> 2011-5 requires that to be done and until the board actually makes such an
> announcement, proposal 154 remains non-duplicative and relevant as
> a policy proposal.

Owen -

  Upon adoption, Draft Policy 2011-5 requires that a contiguous /10 IPv4
  block be reserved for this purpose.

  If adopted, ARIN-prop-154 would also require that a contiguous /10 IPv4
  block be reserved for this purpose.

  If 2011-5 hadn't been recommended to the ARIN Board of Trustees, then I
  could see the ARIN AC accepting ARIN-prop-154 on the docket and merging
  it with the draft policy. (I would at that time advise against language
  not germane to Internet number resource management of the address block,
  but that's another issue)

  As it is, with 2011-5 recommended for adoption, the ARIN AC has given the
  question to the ARIN Board of Trustees.  Since the question also deals
  with issues such as how we respect existing relationships with other
  organizations while still meeting the needs of the community, it is
  actually quite appropriate that the ARIN Board deliberate on the matter.

> As such, I would recommend that the AC put 154 on the docket at their
> next meeting and consider it in scope until such time as the board actually
> takes and announces action that would obviate the need for 154. If that
> happens, then, I would support abandoning 154 at that time as it would
> then be out of scope.

  You are free to recommend any course of action as you see fit.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO