[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-127: Shared Transition Space for IPv4 Address Extension

Tony Hain alh-ietf at tndh.net
Thu Jan 27 11:41:29 EST 2011

Matthew Kaufman wrote:
> On 1/21/2011 10:50 AM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
> >
> > I still object to the proposal on the basis that it is not needed.
> >

> I still believe that proposal 127 is not needed, however in order to
> accelerate IPv4 runout I am changing to "tentatively support" proposal
> 127 as-is, and would "fully support" proposal 127 if it were increased
> to an entire /8.

So you accelerated the runout by ?? ~ 3 minutes... is it really worth the
effort?

Seriously, APnic alone is burning 5% of a /8 per day, and collectively all
the RIRs have burned through 7.7% per day for this calendar year. In any
case, it has been argued both ways that a larger pool will accelerate &/or
slow the eventual ARIN exhaust date. There are simply too many unknowns to
call that right. The only way to avoid this mess is to rewind the clock 5
years and start IPv6 deployments in time to make this step unnecessary.
Since we don't seem to have anyone stepping forward with an operating time
machine, that doesn't appear to be a viable option...

Tony