[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-127: Shared Transition Space for IPv4 Address Extension

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Thu Jan 27 09:53:35 EST 2011

On 1/27/2011 8:46 AM, Lee Howard wrote:
> Seriously, for things that don't work beautifully through multi-layer
> NAT, IPv6 is the only way to go.  And if you think NAT444 is
> your solution for exhaustion, you really need to do IPv6, too.

At no point have I said "don't deploy IPv6". I could care less about
that part. The problem is, v4 will still be needed. NAT64 has it's own
issues. NAT444 is probably the best we have for handling the v4 side of
things.

If applications utilize a mixture of STUN, ICE, and TURN, NAT444 might
just happen to work. With NAT64, hopefully everyone will use the well
known prefix, so they can address v4 hosts properly within the v6
addressing.

There will still be breakage, though.

Jack