[arin-ppml] End non-public IPv4 assignments?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Jan 27 01:19:22 EST 2011

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 7:23 PM, Jimmy Hess <mysidia at gmail.com> wrote:
> If not every network can get the addresses they need...  what should
> ARIN  _not_  assign resources to first, even if they do ask first?

Hi Folks,

I appreciate all the feedback on ARIN addresses for non-public
networks. I've heard a lot of sound reasoning. Expect to hear some of
it echoed back at you the next time we talk about an IPv6 ULA
registry. ;-) There's one further thought I'd inject into the
conversation:

We're approaching a period of time between v4 free pool depletion and
v6 ubiquity during which IPv4 addressing will become a zero-sum game.
The nature of a zero-sum game is that there is *always* someone left
holding the short stick. Without exception. The sooner the unlucky
ones know who they're going to be, the sooner they can begin
mitigating the damage. Maybe even get ahead of the curve.

I may not have the answer, but it seems to me that as a community we
ought to get serious about the question.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004