[arin-ppml] End non-public IPv4 assignments?

John Santos JOHN at egh.com
Wed Jan 26 02:40:44 EST 2011

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011, Owen DeLong wrote:

> On Jan 25, 2011, at 8:56 PM, Jimmy Hess wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Jack Bates <jbates at brightok.net> wrote:
> > [snip]
> >> I think the main argument against is that many do interconnect. They just
> >> don't interconnect publicly. This means they require globally unique
> >> addressing. ARIN's job is steward of the globally unique addressing for our
> >> region.
> >
> > Actually..  if they do not connect publicly;  all they need is
> > addressing that is unique among the networks that they do include
> > connectivity with.   It does not need to be globally unique, due to
> > the globally unreachable nature of privately interconnected networks;
> > since every host they can transmit a packet to is part of their
> > private interconnection.
> >
> BZZT... Thanks for playing.
>
> It needs to be unique among the networks they interconnect with and
> the networks those networks interconnect with.
>
> Now, when you consider that many of the networks they interconnect
> with may well interconnect with the internet... Guess what.
>
> > PP127 seems to obsolete this  by providing shared space  that any
> > network could use for such purposes; in addition to RFC1918 space
> > available already available for shared use.
> >
> Not exactly, no.
>
> > All the networks that do not connect publicly must do  is negotiate
> > between themselves in regards to which addressing will be used by
> > which network.
> >
> This includes the following (incorrect) assertions:
>
> 1.	These networks know about each other's existence.
> 2.	These networks have a viable means by which to carry out said
> 	coordination.
> 3.	These networks are sufficiently limited in scope as to make such
> 	an activity feasible.
>
> Owen

Thank you, Owen.  I was about to make a really snarky and ill-advised
reply, but you covered all my points much more succinctly and
rationally than I would have.  One thing I should point out is that
in my industry alone, there are hundreds if not thousands of networks
which would have to coordinate.

Also, using PP127 space for this would probably step on ISPs using
it for its intended purpose, since some of the businesses involved
are in fact ISPs.

--
John Santos
Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.