[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-128: Replacement of Section 4.2.4.4

Hannigan, Martin marty at akamai.com
Mon Jan 24 19:41:38 EST 2011

On 1/24/11 7:03 PM, "Lee Howard" <spiffnolee at yahoo.com> wrote:

>> the length of supply that any  organization
>
>> may request from ARIN from that moment forward will be reduced  to three
>> months.
>
> This is the key line of this proposal.
>
> My first thought had been to support (or even propose) this.  But when I
> thought about it, I decided that this proposal would encourage organizations
> to submit poorly-documented or spurious requests for address space, just
> so they would be "in queue" at the time of runout.  So, an org with 70%
> utilization would submit an application, and dawdle in responses to ARIN;
> after IANA runout, and after they hit 80%, they would complete their
> documentation.
>
> I therefore oppose this proposal.

In the predecessor to this, we suggested that there would be some discretion
with respect to staff deciding if an application was in good order at the
time of the reduction. In retrospect, that's not a good idea at least
without some criteria for them to be held to.

There are many reasons why an application may be in suspense at the time of
the reduction, including ARIN dawdling on responding, a surprise audit that
would complete successfully if the application were in an accepted stage,
etc.

Do you have any suggestions for some criteria that we might be able to
insert into the text to make this more palatable?

Best,

-M<