[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-127: Shared Transition Space for IPv4 Address Extension

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Jan 24 14:54:08 EST 2011

On Jan 24, 2011, at 10:43 AM, George, Wes E [NTK] wrote:

> [...]
That's a pretty good argument for having a defined block that people can
adjust the 6to4 routers to know about. Arguably, anycast 6to4 is moderately
broken in a wide variety of circumstances anyway. I don't think it's quite
as bad as Lorenzo would have us all believe, but, there are definite
problems.

> Not to speak for Joel, but I think that the point he's making is that if
> this block isn't codified as an update/addition to RFC1918 space, it'll be
> treated incorrectly by applications which care about global uniqueness in
> addressing, regardless of where they live. Even if it is codified in that
> manner, it'll take the applications (host stack and otherwise) a while to
> catch up.

In which case, we're better off with this than with random provider-specific
assignments which is the most likely alternative scenario.

Owen