[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-127: Shared Transition Space for IPv4 Address Extension

George, Wes E [NTK] Wesley.E.George at sprint.com
Mon Jan 24 13:43:25 EST 2011

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-intarea-shared-addressing-issues
> > / for more discussion on the matter.
>
> In which case, this address space only presents an issue for those
> using
> it in a manner other than intended.
>
> Owen

[WES] That's an oversimplification. This block will break 6to4 even if it's
used for its intended purpose as long as the block is not part of RFC1918
space, it just might break at a slightly different place in the path. A CPE
router doing 6to4 for its network using the non-1918 IP it gets from the
broadband provider will break just as much as an end host who gets a
public-looking but non-unique/routable address. But whether ARIN/IANA
reserves a block, the ISPs cooperate and use a block amongst themselves, or
they use some of the space that was previously allocated to them by an RIR
on an individual basis, the same problem exists. So it's not a surprise, but
that's part of why I'm so adamant about using 1918 space for this if at all
possible.

Not to speak for Joel, but I think that the point he's making is that if
this block isn't codified as an update/addition to RFC1918 space, it'll be
treated incorrectly by applications which care about global uniqueness in
addressing, regardless of where they live. Even if it is codified in that
manner, it'll take the applications (host stack and otherwise) a while to
catch up.

Wes George