[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-127: Shared Transition Space for IPv4 Address Extension

George, Wes E [NTK] Wesley.E.George at sprint.com
Mon Jan 24 10:17:11 EST 2011

[WES] We have a syntax problem here. People are using private/public as
shorthand for globally unique vs not, and that's confusing the matter. 6to4
is the example that I use, but anything that needs to know if it has a
globally unique address to do some sort of direct connection to a remote
host cares rather a lot. The rub is that typically today people make the
(reasonable) assumption that if it's not in 1918 space, it's globally
unique. Else, not. I would expect that there are a lot of applications that
have something like:

If (RFC1918($address))
then nat-hack()
Else function()