[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-127: Shared Transition Space for IPv4 Address Extension

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Sat Jan 22 18:05:38 EST 2011

On 1/22/2011 5:00 PM, George Bonser wrote:
> 10 years down the road, Joe's Fish Farm wants to establish a VPN with
> Bob's Fish Feed and low and behold, Bob's Fish Feed is using exactly the
> same address space internally that the Fish Farm is.

No different than if they'd used RFC-1918 and established a VPN. What we
care about is Bob's Fish Feed connecting to LSN ISP who's using the /10,
which would break him unless he paid for public space.

> That is one reason why I would favor use of the old Class E space for
> this. Vendors of CPE and NAT devices could hack the stack to allow this
> space but end user workstations would be unable to use it.

I'm afraid E has been so polluted by code restraints, there is no proper
recovery of it. You're asking for a support nightmare.

Jack