[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-127: Shared Transition Space for IPv4 Address Extension

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Sat Jan 22 15:20:19 EST 2011

On 1/22/2011 1:58 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:

>> The policy should not be wide open with an optional /10 which will be tasked with serving a purpose, but people can just ignore that purpose as well. This would leave a new opening for abuse.
>>
> Since this would be a block that noone in their right mind would accept a route for from any of their peers, what kind of abuse are you expecting it to be open to? Are you saying that there is significant abuse of RFC-1918 addresses today?

I'm saying that as it stands, they could request space from ARIN for
internal LSN space and then turn around and use the /10, which would be
false justification, but there isn't a way for us to defend against it
without the policy limiting LSN justifications. It's important to note
that this limitation only would stop people from justifying IPv4
utilization on the inside of their LSN implementation; compensated with
us giving a /10 to the world for that specific purpose.  I think you
gathered this on my other email.

> I support the idea of amending the proposal to prohibit ARIN from granting requests for other space for this aspect of LSN implementation.

Jack