[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-127: Shared Transition Space for IPv4 Address Extension

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Fri Jan 21 21:26:35 EST 2011

On 1/21/2011 6:36 PM, Frank Bulk - iName.com wrote:
> * Yes, while operators could draw from their own allocated space to
> accomplish NAT444, their combined efforts would likely result in more than a
> /10 of IPv4 space being used and require an extraordinary amount of effort.
> Rather than force them to renumber or go through all that work, let's just
> allocate a /10 for this and be done with it.

They'll be forced to renumber with /10. Using their own space, they
could regionalize existing blocks, effectively doubling, tripling,
quadrupling their existing allocated space. What is the complaint? That
we must feed more than a single /10 netblock into the NAT444 device's
config? The initial conversion blocks may require thought and planning,
but once implemented, it should flow smoothly.

I've heard a lot of "but we can punish only some people with the /10
allowing us to reuse our global space for more important areas where we
won't punish people." Let's be honest. What we are saying is, give us a
/10 to punish the cheap residential guys, so we can utilize all our
other space for those who pay us money. Eyeball networks are the ones
that can deploy NAT444 effectively, and I see no reason to give them
more global address space, which they won't be handing back to ARIN for
content providers to use (they'll just pad their own pockets with their
side hosting businesses since they reclaimed millions of broadband IP's
which are of high value).

Jack