[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-127: Shared Transition Space for IPv4 Address Extension

Chris Donley C.Donley at cablelabs.com
Fri Jan 21 16:49:03 EST 2011

Still, my major source of discomfort is enabling v4 forever.
[CD] I think the market will take care of that.  NAT444 is going to suck for all but the most basic services.  It will offer a degraded quality of experience for video streaming, gaming, voice, etc. - services customers want to use.  IPv6 will offer a better quality of experience through bypassing the NAT.  Customers will get the message and start using IPv6 as they replace legacy devices. As Owen said, NAT444 is a great business case for IPv6. I don't see any way around NAT444, though.  It's the only IPv4 extension technology that's readily deployable and doesn't require a new home gateway.

Chris