[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-129: IPv4 Addresses for Process Participants

Kevin Stange kevin at steadfast.net
Fri Jan 21 16:20:50 EST 2011

On 01/21/2011 03:14 PM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
> On 1/21/2011 1:07 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>>> ARIN-prop-129: IPv4 Addresses for Process Participants
>> Opposed.
>>
>> Participation in the process does not imply need, and
>> we have a need based allocation process.
>
> We won't when IPv4 address space runs out. We'll have a need-based
> lack-of-allocation process, perhaps... but we certainly won't have what
> we have now... so there's no reason to attempt to preserve the status
> quo for IPv4 allocation at this point.

That wasn't the point.  We as participants don't have any greater need
than those that do not.  You're suggesting that my organization gets to
greedily take space ahead of some other organization that may need it
first, more urgently, when I still have a free pool left I'm allocating
from and that organization may not.

While I would love to hoard some IPv4 to stave off my local runout, this
is completely against the spirit of the existing allocation process.

--
Kevin Stange
Chief Technology Officer