[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-130: IPv4 Transition Reservation for Every ASN

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Fri Jan 21 16:12:18 EST 2011

On 1/21/2011 12:43 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
> I oppose this proposal.
>
> The current policy NRPM 4.10 does a better job of addressing this need without
> the added risks of creating a large pool of space reserved for ASNs that will
> not likely ever use it.

The NRPM 4.10 block will be rapidly consumed by the organizations that
move first. This leaves every other organization without a means for
acquiring transition addresses. Proposal 130 is specifically about
addressing *every other organization*.

There is no danger of "creating a large pool of space reserved for ASNs
that will not likely ever use it" because, if IPv6 transition is
successful, there will be a huge surplus of IPv4 space and these
reservations will just be a drop in the bucket at that point.

I would support putting a deadline by which the space must be claimed,
but I fear that any reasonable deadline would be after the point where
it doesn't matter.

Matthew Kaufman