[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-129: IPv4 Addresses for Process Participants

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jan 21 15:34:27 EST 2011

I oppose this policy.

As much as I'd love a free /24, this is truly a case of reductio ad absurdum
and quite contrary to the community's best interest.

Additionally, the policy is vague and would be difficult to implement.

>  Each "active participant" shall receive a single block of the same
> size, the size chosen so as to maximally use the /10 allocated for this
> purpose, but in no case shall the block be smaller than /24. No more
> than one such block shall be distributed per organization if a single
> organization has more than one "active participant".

I am affiliated with multiple organizations. Which one would my /24 be
counted against? How is that determined?

IPv4 runout will be a traumatic experience for a majority of the internet
population with repercussions distributed across ISVs, Content Providers,
Distribution Networks, Transit Networks, Access Networks, Consumers,
Regulators, and more. Hardly anyone will be untouched by this transition.

This event is inevitable and coming soon (probably 6-9 months from now).

We should be focusing on ways to make the remaining address space
benefit the largest userbase possible, not ways to make the transition
more painful to more people.

Owen