[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-127: Shared Transition Space for IPv4 Address Extension

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Fri Jan 21 13:43:05 EST 2011

On 1/21/11 08:30 CST, George, Wes E [NTK] wrote:
> [...]

If ARIN does this (again this is a BIG IF), I agree how we do it matters
a lot.

However, if we do it as a Global Policy, it is my understanding that
ARIN and the other RIRs, as the NRO of ICANN would essentially be
directing IANA to do it, instead of the IETF directing IANA to do it.
We ARIN wouldn't be doing it per se. In some ways that is an interesting
idea, but means that all the RIRs have to pass the Global Policy and be
reviewed by the NRO AC and the ICANN board before it could happen, which
may be to late from a practical perspective.

There is the notion of a globally coordinated policy where the other
RIRs could pas a policy that is compatible with ARIN's policy, probably
simply recognizing the allocation ARIN make.

Or maybe another option is for ARIN (not sure who the individuals should
be) to submit an Informational RFC identifying the allocation it makes
for this purpose, similar to RFC 3849 "IPv6 Address Prefix Reserved for
Documentation", that was more or less lead by APNIC I believe.  I didn't
follow that process at the time so maybe this situation isn't analogous
at all, I just don't know.

Also a procedural question, is it necessary for this kind of policy to
go into the NRPM? Basically the policy just directing ARIN staff to make
a special allocation that would be document by Whois, wouldn't that be
sufficient documentation?  Especially, if we further document it with a
Informational RFC submitted to the IETF or a web page similar to what
APNIC has for the IPv6 Documentation prefix.

http://www.apnic.net/info/faq/ipv6-documentation-prefix-faq.html

Thanks.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952