[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-127: Shared Transition Space for IPv4 Address Extension

Hannigan, Martin marty at akamai.com
Thu Jan 20 17:56:32 EST 2011

On 1/20/11 5:28 PM, "George, Wes E [NTK]" <Wesley.E.George at sprint.com>
wrote:

[ snip ]

> And for those who say "I support this because there's no alternative" I need
> to remind you that the alternative has existed for some time now, and while
> people are loath to admit it, already in use - squatting on allocated,
> routable space that is currently not routed on the public internet. While
> some of the space that is dark today might show up in the routing table for
> the right price, it's a safe bet that certain parts of "three letter agency"
> infrastructure is not going to be selling off their IP blocks to the highest
> bidder and it therefore will stay unrouted. It's risky, no doubt, but the
> risk is manageable.

Hi, Wes. I disagree. This behavior is already occurring and it looks like
its going to be rampant on the last bunch of /8's coming out of the IANA and
it is definitely problematic.

With respect to government /8's, too much risk. Where do folks think the
government will get transition addresses if they need them? I wouldn't be
betting on any squatting strategy at this point.

Wish I had a better idea, but squatting is a *very* bad idea.

Best,

-m<