[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-127: Shared Transition Space for IPv4 Address Extension

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Jan 20 16:22:22 EST 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 4:10 PM, Mark Smith
<ipng at 69706e6720323030352d30312d31340a.nosense.org> wrote:
> Why should the global Internet community (i.e. the end-users of
> the Internet) have to help wear the costs of individual ISPs not
> deploying IPv6 quickly enough?

Hi Mark,

It seems to me that "whose fault is it?" matters less than "what do we
do now?" What we do now is lessen the transition problems (so that the
end users don't get screwed in the short term) while moving forward on
the transition as quickly as practicable (so that the end users don't
get screwed in the long term).

Do you disagree?

> Helping ISPs avoid those costs turns the
> situation into one of a Moral Hazard. It won't encourage IPv6
> adoption; it'll delay it because both the incentive to do so, and the
> consequence of not doing so, are reduced.

Shall we encourage the patient not to hurt himself by setting the bone
but refusing him pain medication? Sounds positively monstrous to me.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004