[arin-ppml] Discussion Petition of ARIN-prop-125 Efficient Utilization of IPv4 Requires Dual-Stack

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 00:05:24 EST 2011

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 7:58 PM, Chris Grundemann <cgrundemann at gmail.com> wrote:

> 4.1.3.1 Dual-Stack
> Dual-stack refers to configuring both an IPv4 and an IPv6 address or
> network together on the same network infrastructure.

While the revision has  significant improvements,   I  still  do not
support PP125 or the petition.

The main remaining problem is it still requires an IPv6 network to be
configured, which is onerous;   ARIN's  role is not to lay down law
about which protocols applicants use on their networks,  only  to
provide addresses, based on the reasonable need-based criteria,
such as the RFC 2050 guidelines.

There are still  forseeable situations  such as  non-connected
networks,  where IPv6 addressing may not be needed or desired.

One way to remedy would be to replace  the "Dual Stack"  criteria
with a  "Dual Assignment" criteria.
And specify that IPv6 addresses merely have to be reserved for devices
or interfaces  for use in the future,  that the  addresses do not have
to actually be configured or routed  at the time of application.

That  should reduce the barrier required for the applicant and ARIN in
the future,  for IPv6 deployment,  and give a "nudge" without ARIN
getting into the business of trying to regulate  the architecture and
choice of protocols IP network implementations.

--
-J