[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-136 Services Opt-out Allowed for Unaffiliated Address Blocks

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Feb 25 16:39:15 EST 2011

On Feb 26, 2011, at 5:28 AM, Benson Schliesser wrote:

Again: if such registries where allowed under ARIN's local policy
framework, then ICP-2 states that ARIN's policies would need to apply
in a fair and equitable manner these entities just as they apply to
ISP's in the region. Does that actually meet your requirements for
"opting out"? I expected otherwise from the policy background statement
as the policies adopted in the ARIN region would apply fully to any
such "replacement directory services."

Please address the question, so that we can prepare an adequate policy review
materials on the policy proposal:  Do you intend that the "replacement  directory
services" would fully conform with ARIN's number resource policies, or not?  This
may have to be clarified in the policy proposal before it can be further considered.

Thanks for your clarification, John.  Perhaps I understand you correctly now.  To rephrase what I hear you saying:  As a result of RIR recognition by ICANN per ICP-2, ARIN has a responsibility to apply address management policy to all organizations within their region, and is not permitted to allow anybody to opt-out of that policy.  Have I captured your meaning correctly?

No, I indicated that ARIN would need to apply policies in a fair and equitable
manner to "replacement directory services" just they apply to ISPs in the region.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO