[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-136 Services Opt-out Allowed for Unaffiliated Address Blocks

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Feb 25 13:55:03 EST 2011

On Feb 25, 2011, at 10:33 AM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:

> On 2/25/2011 10:10 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>>
>> 4.	People who run routers control who can actually route a particular prefix. They are
>> 	free to use the ARIN database as a reference or not as they see fit.
>
> And is there *any* concern here on the list that people will stop using the ARIN database as such a reference the moment ARIN removes the registration an address block that has been "improperly" transferred to an entity that is routing the space and hosting something that's popular, and allocates those same numbers to someone else?
>
> Matthew Kaufman

Probably. However, if they do, they'll need something else to use instead.

Whatever that is, I don't see anything good coming out of ARIN assisting in its construction or development.

Such alternative registries with differing policies of address stewardship are contrary to
what the ARIN community has spent years developing. I think they will, if utilized, destabilize
the IPv4 internet. I tend to think that most ISPs will recognize this fact and continue to use the
ARIN database and the policies they have worked with the ARIN community to develop.

Owen