[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-136 Services Opt-out Allowed for Unaffiliated Address Blocks

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Feb 25 13:10:31 EST 2011

On Feb 25, 2011, at 9:38 AM, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> [...]
This includes a number of false assumptions...

1.	IP Addresses are not property.
2.	ARIN does not grant license, title, lease, or other property rights in addresses.
3.	ARIN registers addresses and administers the registry for uniqueness.
4.	People who run routers control who can actually route a particular prefix. They are
	free to use the ARIN database as a reference or not as they see fit.
5.	As a registration service, absent a contract ARIN has the right to add, delete, or
	modify a registration as they see fit. Functioning within the terms of the ICANN
	MOU and within the combined RIR/ICANN/ASO/NRO structure makes things more
	convenient for everyone and makes the internet function more reliably than would
	a fragmented and disparate collection of registries with differing policies.
	However, nothing prevents such non-cooperating registries from acting as they
	wish. I do, however, tend to think that ISPs prefer a functional internet and are
	thus unlikely to give much credence to the data in such registries.

Arguing over property rights in 32-bit integers is like trying to get a royalty from people
for using the number 5. It might be amusing for a while, but, in the end, it's mostly pointless
and maybe a bit counter-productive.

Owen