[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-136 Services Opt-out Allowed for Unaffiliated Address Blocks

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Feb 25 03:02:34 EST 2011

On Feb 25, 2011, at 3:30 PM, Benson Schliesser wrote:

> It is my belief that ARIN doesn't have any fundamental authority to prevent an opt-out, and that prop-136 would reconcile policy with reality in order to avoid unnecessary damages (to the address holders and the community).

Interesting belief system, but incorrect. It's actually the other
way around, in that ARIN is obligated to adhere to global number
resource policy, and this specifies that a single RIR shall serve
a given geography.

> In that light, I'm motivated to help ARIN avoid improper behavior by personally participating in the development of policy.

Your concern for the organization's performance (while misplaced
in this particular case) is so noted.

The good news is that we have competent staff and counsel to
assist ARIN performing in accordance with mission and law,
with such guidance is ultimately subject to the judgement of
the elected Board.

> As to the specific point about "existing agreements to manage the resources", and your comments elsewhere about the need for a global policy discussion, can you please clarify?  I may be overlooking something, but I cannot find anything that prohibits ARIN from allowing organizations to opt-out of receiving ARIN services.

The very first principle of ICANN ICP-2 states:

  "Each region should be served by a single RIR, established under
   one management and in one location. The establishment of multiple
   RIRs in one region is likely to lead to:

   • fragmentation of address space allocated to the region;
   • difficulty for co-ordination and co-operation between the RIRs;
   • confusion for the community within the region. "

Not surprisingly, those very concerns seem to echo what many have
said on this list regarding "alternative" registries.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO