[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-136 Services Opt-out Allowed for Unaffiliated Address Blocks

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Feb 24 18:41:09 EST 2011

On Feb 25, 2011, at 7:16 AM, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> False assumption #1: opting out of ARIN services means no Whois record.
> Fact: Some people are so stuck in the mindset that ARIN and only ARIN can offer a Whois service that they are missing the point of this proposal. Are you aware of the request by a prospective competitor for bulk access to Whois so that it can be reconciled with an alternate provider and maintain a globally consistent directory?

Milton -

We don't seem to have any actual details regarding how such registries
might interact with the existing system, what common goals would still
exist (if any), or even what authority and policies they'd operate under.
Such details are essential to understanding what exactly is being proposed
when you reference "alternative providers", and as you are well-aware,
these are the sort of issues that took years to work out in the DNS
registry system and (to some extent) even now are still evolving under
guidance from an entire ecosystem of constituencies within ICANN.

Perhaps addressing those some of these questions via in an actual proposal
to change ICP-2 could result in a revised framework for handling global
number resource management?  That certainly would make evaluating policy
proposals such as ARIN-prop-136 much more straightforward.

If such a change is desired, the most appropriate first step would be those
who want it to work on a concrete proposal that addresses the material issues
of introducing a new (non-geographic) competitive registry framework. That
would allow consideration by the global community of the potential issues
and benefits from introducing commercial registries, and furthermore could
be actually discussed in open manner which includes governments, business,
standards organizations and civil society.

I presume that you are familiar with this sort of process, and hopefully
can see how the ARIN region considering it independently from the current
global policy for number resource management would be contrary to actually
having open and transparent governance for these the global number resources?

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN