[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2011-6: Returned IPv4 Addresses

Joe Maimon jmaimon at chl.com
Wed Feb 23 22:24:38 EST 2011

ARIN wrote:
> Draft Policy ARIN-2011-6
> Returned IPv4 Addresses

Without indication of it being a problem, either currently or in the
near future, I dont support dictating schedules to ARIN staff where they
already have existing practices that appear to serve quite well.

If all this proposal is saying is that ARIN will not return space from
its region to IANA under any form and for any reason, let it just say so.

I dont support return to IANA because that causes negative competition
and incentive for global conservation, unless some binding common
denominator can be reached, much the same way I would not support
intra-rir transfers unless the recipient would qualify under policy of both.

I suppose this issue could be solved much the same way that intra-region
transfers were. Let the RiR's negotiate for space between themselves and
then pass it through IANA earmarked to the agreed upon destination,
passing muster with IANA policy along the way.

Schedules and timelines for recycled resources may very well be an
issue. As it stands these two issues are conflated and I cant support
the draft as written.

Joe