[arin-ppml] FW: Proposal: Clarification of draft policy 2009-3 (ARIN-prop-135)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Feb 22 16:52:41 EST 2011

On Feb 23, 2011, at 5:16 AM, Matthew Petach wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 12:46 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>> In each case, the registrations which from that region prior to
>> the RIR formation ("legacy registrations") where transferred
>> under that RIR.
>
> If that's truly the case, that the registrations were actually
> transferred to be under the control of the RIR as part of the
> transition, then isn't the whole RSA/LRSA/non-signing
> legacyholder debate totally moot?  If their address blocks
> really *were* transferred under ARIN, explicitly, as part of
> the formation of the RIR, then they fall under the policies
> and auspices of that RIR.

In the case of the other regions, we're talking about dozens
or hundreds of "historic" allocations. In the case of ARIN,
it was more than ten thousand.

> However, currently we're treating them as though they're
> outside the RIR system, where policies don't apply to them,
> they don't have to pay for resources the same way, and
> don't have to sign the same agreement documents.  To me,
> that says that their resources were *NOT* transferred under
> the RIR at the time of the transition, and instead fall under
> some other global umbrella.

At ARIN's formation, we indicated that we'd maintain
the existing base of registrations in the region.  At
the time, there was no push to bring the thousands of
assignments under an RSA, as it was felt that ARIN could
be well supported by the active and growing ISP community.
We have basically maintained that status quo ever since,
adding the option of the LRSA for those who want a
formal contractual basis for the registry services.

> So.  Once and for all, can we please have it stated clearly,
> and for the record:
>
> Under whose auspices do the current legacy holders hold
> their space?  Under whose stewardship do those blocks
> exist?  If they were assigned under SRI or NSI, did they
> transfer to ARIN at the time of the RIR creation, or did
> they revert back to the parent of SRI/NSI, which at this
> point would be IANA?

They transferred to ARIN at the time of the RIR creation.
ARIN's original service region was "rest of world" (all
of the registrations not managed by RIPE NCC and APNIC).
There's even an old logo for ARIN which had that as its
geographic outline (pre-LACNIC and AfriNIC formation)
When those new RIRs formed, we again transferred the
registrations, only the vast majority of them were post
ARIN formation and had a standard RSA which was assigned
when the service regions changed.

> Once we know the authoritative answer to that question,
> I think my stance on the matter will become abundantly
> clear.

Hope this helps,
/John

John Curran