[arin-ppml] Proposal insanity --- an open letter

Benson Schliesser bensons at queuefull.net
Tue Feb 22 03:44:32 EST 2011

On Feb 21, 2011, at 5:23 PM, John Curran wrote:

> On Feb 22, 2011, at 6:52 AM, Tony Hain wrote:
>
>> 30,000 ft. summary of prop's 126, 129-131, 133-135
>> FWIW: opposed to all listed proposals
>
> Tony -
>
> Thanks for the thought-provoking input, as well as the
> succinct summary of opposition to all the listed proposals...
> The one surprising element is that several of the policy
> proposals you list express similar concerns to those that
> were alluded to in your soliloquy; are you certain that
> none of the policy proposals would improve the situation
> from your perspective?  (I ask only because it is
> predominantly via the policy development process that
> changes in ARIN's address management practices occurs)

Indeed, prop 133 (along with 134) is intended to address exactly the notions Tony espoused.  Specifically, it leads to a system of overt consent by the governed - leaving non-consenters to find alternatives of their own to ARIN's registry services.  It's not clear to me how the content of Tony's message leads to opposition to prop 133.

Cheers,
-Benson