[arin-ppml] FW: Proposal: Clarification of draft policy 2009-3 (ARIN-prop-135)

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Fri Feb 18 17:29:52 EST 2011

From: arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net [mailto:arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Lyon
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2011 3:07 PM
To: ARIN
Cc: arin-ppml at arin.net
Subject: Re: [arin-ppml] Proposal: Clarification of draft policy 2009-3 (ARIN-prop-135)

>I'm opposed to any policy that even comes close to allowing ARIN to give >resources back to IANA.
>Jeff

IMHO a policy that *allows* return of blocks to IANA upon request by IANA would be ok.  I am not in favor of policy that *requires* return of blocks whether IANA wants them or not.

Having said that consider that a "MAY" in absence of "MAY NOT" is a no-op. The policy may be specious. If there is no law prohibiting me from wearing red socks then while it sounds good a permit to wear red socks is rather meaningless and wasteful.

Kevin