[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-134: Identification of Legitimate Address Holders

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Feb 16 21:54:22 EST 2011

On Feb 16, 2011, at 9:18 PM, Benson Schliesser wrote:
>  For example, I don't believe ARIN will update the whois to reflect a transfer of legacy resources to a party that refuses to submit to "justification of need" policy.

ARIN updates the Whois in accordance with the community-developed
policy.

> We can debate whether the recipient is obliged to submit, but that would miss the point.  The point is that if ARIN refuses to update whois in any circumstances, then we run the risk of inaccurate data - the more likely those circumstances are, the less accurate the whois will become.  And I'd argue that IPv4 exhaustion makes some circumstances (such as the sale of legacy address blocks) even more likely.

The community needs to make policy which balances different needs:
conservation, registration, and aggregation.  ARIN will update the
database in accordance with such policies.  It's not up to the staff
what the appropriate tradeoffs are in balancing these goals and risks,
it's up to the community to set.

Note that there are presently transfer policies which cover merger
and acquisition (NRPM 8.2), and also specified transfers to another
party (NRPM 8.3).  To the extent that the proposal affects the
processing of these transfers, it would be best if policy proposal
specifically augmented or replaced these sections so that there is
an unambiguous result.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran