[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-134: Identification of Legitimate Address Holders

Benson Schliesser bensons at queuefull.net
Wed Feb 16 20:56:47 EST 2011

On Feb 16, 2011, at 7:13 PM, Bill Woodcock wrote:

> On Feb 16, 2011, at 4:59 PM, Benson Schliesser wrote:
>> Prop 134 makes the definition of "Legitimate Address Holder" a matter of community consensus rather than a staff implementation.
>
> And is the community going to hire some other set of analysts than ARIN's, to investigate all the fraudulent claims made by people who try to hijack legacy blocks?  Or are you suggesting that the community should, through inaction, handsomely reward hijackers for their ingenuity and gumption?

You may have overlooked the word "definition" in my comment.  The definition of a term doesn't necessarily include responsibility for all subsequent actions - ARIN still has a job to do.

> It appears that you're oblivious to the fact that this whole system exists for a reason.  If you don't like the fact that regulatory mechanisms and the rule of law exist to protect people from shysters and con-men, perhaps you should try establishing an RIR somewhere that isn't as likely to get in your way?

You presume incorrectly to understand my thinking, but the tone of your response doesn't encourage me to explain further.  Except to say that the system that exists is imperfect, and "if you don't like it then leave!" responses aren't helpful.  If you want more details, feel free to  ask me a constructive question or read my other messages to this list.

Cheers,
-Benson