[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-131: Section 5.0 Legacy Addresses - revised ver. 3

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Feb 16 19:08:20 EST 2011

On Feb 16, 2011, at 6:47 PM, William Herrin wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 2:00 PM, ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
>
> Per https://www.arin.net/announcements/2010/20101020.html (emphasis mine):
>
> "After the hold period, ARIN will follow global policy at that time
> and ***return it to the global free pool*** or distribute the space to
> those organizations in the ARIN region with documented need, as
> appropriate."
>
> Allow me to be the "bad guy" here. We don't want addresses ARIN works
> and spends our money to recover to go in to the global pool. We want
> them to go in to the ARIN pool for allocation and assignment back to
> us. That's why we intentionally never set terms under which ARIN could
> return addresses to IANA during the whole global transfer policy
> argument last year.

To be clear: last year there was a prolonged discussion regarding a global
policy for redistribution of returned IPv4 address.  In the ARIN region,
the original text was changed to make return of address space optional,
with two reasons cited:

1) Mandatory return of IPv4 address space is not appropriate if the
   resources are then being reallocated to RIRs that don't follow
   the goals of RFC 2050.

2) ARIN has to absorb the costs involved in recovery of address space,
   and therefore should not have to automatically return the space to
   the global free (despite this being the historical ARIN practice)

So, we never set terms under which ARIN *must* return address space, but
did adopt a global policy in this region whereby ARIN could return space.

I do not know how this impacts the discussion of the policy, but felt it
important that there be clarity on the last year's efforts.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO