[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-131: Section 5.0 Legacy Addresses

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 12:16:36 EST 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 8:05 AM, STARNES, CURTIS
<Curtis.Starnes at granburyisd.org> wrote:
> Thanks Bill,
> I went back and re-read this section before I received your email and picked your explanation up on the second reading.
> It makes sense, from an ISP's stand point, allocating resources rather than my just consuming resources from an end-users perspective and the differences in the yearly fees; $500.00 is not much compared to what ISP's have to pay in yearly recurring costs in ARIN fees.
>
> Thanks for the explanation.  As an end-user, the verbage that makes the resources available to members, I would be opposed to.

There's been an update which hopefully addresses your concern.

But to be more precise as to why this is needed, let's look at quote
from John Curran to the press related to 45/8:

"ARIN will accept the returned space and not reissue it for a
short period, per existing operational procedure. After the
hold period, ARIN will follow global policy at that time and
return it to the global free pool or distribute the space to
those organizations in the ARIN region with documented
need, as appropriate. --John Curran, CEO, ARIN

That is clearly not a commitment to take legacy addresses and add them
for us to ARIN's inventory. This proposal changes this statement to
the positive, and if 131 were policy today John Curran may have said
what he did say above sans "as appropriate". Polluting this proposal
with linkage to non legacy IPv4 policy seems unwise and business as
usual with respect to v4 policy tinkering. This proposal only affects
members in that it "may" result in additional addresses being tacked
on to the almost ~170M addresses already in inventory and provide
additional transition space where needed. It also encourages the
multiple parties with competing global policies to work it out and
make it happen, or not.

Best,

-M<