[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-133: No Volunteer Services on Behalf of Unaffiliated Address Blocks

Benson Schliesser bensons at queuefull.net
Tue Feb 15 14:18:19 EST 2011

On Feb 15, 2011, at 11:50 AM, Chris Grundemann wrote:

> Going a step further, are there really legacy address holders out
> there who are upset about receiving free services from ARIN? Barring
> that, I do not understand the problem that section 13.1 is trying to
> solve. If there are, it would be nice to hear from them here. And,
> even if there are, the community is best served by accurate Whois data
> so their argument against participating would have to be compelling
> indeed to make this idea palatable at all.

There are legacy holders with concern, not because the services are free, but because they are subjected to governance without their consent.

It would not be appropriate for me to speak more specifically on their behalf.  I, too, would like to see legacy holders communicate their perspective here.  But given the legal perspective that some of them have toward ARIN, I unfortunately doubt they will participate in this community.  (And I would be glad for somebody to prove me wrong on this point.)

> Once you eliminate 13.1, this proposal reads like an attempt to update
> the transfer policy. If that is indeed a goal of this proposal; I
> suggest further review of the current specified transfer policy
> (https://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#eight3), and a simplification
> of the current proposal language.

In fact, I am currently drafting a proposal to update the specified transfer policy.

I think you are correct in seeing the relationship between prop 133 and the transfer policy, because restrictions on transfer is one of the issues faced by legacy holders.  But prop 133 deals with the case where legacy holders don't wish to rely on ARIN for transfer at all.  We should improve the specified transfer policy to be more accommodating, but even then we have to decide whether ARIN is correct to enforce policy without consent.

Cheers,
-Benson