[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-133: No Volunteer Services on Behalf of Unaffiliated Address Blocks

Benson Schliesser bensons at queuefull.net
Tue Feb 15 13:34:42 EST 2011

On Feb 14, 2011, at 3:44 PM, John Curran wrote:
> On Feb 14, 2011, at 4:10 PM, Dan Pinkard wrote:
>> It seems like taking away the baby's rattle is a good step, but not that way. What other means are available to motivate organizations to bring legacy space under the LRSA that don't cause other problems? If we're loking at the larger picture of parceling out unused or underutilized IPv4 space, is there a way ARIN can ease those needs in trade? (Is there a desire to help or harm that?)
>
> I do not believe that the intent of this particular policy proposal is to
> encourage legacy holders to enter into an LRSA agreement with ARIN, but
> Benson can better address his actual intent with the policy proposal.

John is essentially right: I'm not trying to motivate legacy holders into the LRSA, but I am trying to make it clear that ARIN won't include legacy resources in the Whois database without the holder's consent.  Of course, entering into a LRSA is one way to express consent, but ARIN could devise other mechanisms if desired.

Cheers,
-Benson