[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-131: Section 5.0 Legacy Addresses

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 00:24:56 EST 2011

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 8:53 PM, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
> On 2/14/11 15:03 CST, Martin Hannigan wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Benson Schliesser

[ clip ]

>> Here's what the text actually says:
>>
>> "5.1 Returned Legacy Addresses
>>
>> Legacy IPv4 addresses returned to or recovered by ARIN will be made
>> available for registration and distribution in the ARIN region within
>> thirty days of their receipt."
>>
>> There's no argument here that once an address is added to ARIN's
>> inventory it's a done deal. The proposal doesn't seek to do otherwise
>> nor does the language imply that it would.

[ clip ]

>> All that this proposal does is codify the instruction to return these
>> addresses to ARIN inventory and use them. The current situation is
>> ambiguous and open to interpretation. This has nothing to do with the
>> IANA at all. In fact, in the absence of a global policy, this simply
>> makes the instruction "use the addresses".
>>
>> With regards to accepting legacy addresses from entities "only" in the
>> ARIN region, I think that's a fair point and will put it on the list
>> of final modifications.
>
> By my interpretation your text does one additional thing than what you state
> above, it specifics that ARIN does this within 30 days, where I believe the
> current operational practice is 6 months.  Do I interpret your intention
> correctly?  If you believe I'm interpreting that wrong, please explain.

David, I think that the text is clear:

"within thirty days of their receipt.""

> It is this apparent change in operational practice that I believe has many
> people concerned, and asking why this policy should only apply to Legacy
> space.

Who has these concerns and what are their basis? My understanding and
experience is that addresses are held for six months for reasons
related to filtering. Bogons are less likely a problem with legacy
addresses, not more. As exhaustion presses on, filtering (routes,
RBL's) will likely become less of an issue. There are going to be much
bigger things to be concerned about as exhaustion presses on.

Best,

-M<