[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-133: No Volunteer Services on Behalf of Unaffiliated Address Blocks

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 22:41:59 EST 2011

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 13:48, Benson Schliesser <bensons at queuefull.net> wrote:

> On Feb 14, 2011, at 3:41 PM, Keith W. Hare wrote:
>
>> My interest in maintaining the status quo for legacy resources is that the system currently works. Unless a change is going to be a large benefit to the internet community, what is the point of changing?
>
> IPv4 exhaustion is a change that won't benefit the Internet community*, but it's happening.  We really can't expect the status quo to be maintained forever.
>
> Cheers,
> -Benson
>
> * - Well, not in the short-term at least.  Once we have critical mass of IPv6, I think it will benefit us all... But that's a different discussion.

While I am not as optimistic about the dates of critical mass
of IPv6 adoption as some in the community, I see little reason
to invest efforts in ARIN IPv4 policy at this point unless there
is a clear benefit to the community in the migration to IPv6.
This policy proposal would seem to result in a distraction for
the community and ARIN in dealing with legacy holders of
IPv4 space, would seem to have operationally negative
consequences, and does nothing to move forward with IPv6.
Opposed.

Gary