[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-133: No Volunteer Services on Behalf of Unaffiliated Address Blocks

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Feb 14 22:40:11 EST 2011

On Feb 14, 2011, at 5:53 PM, Benson Schliesser wrote:

> No, I do not propose that any recognizable Internet address assignments take place beyond the scope of IANA, and I would expect ARIN to comply with IANA policy unless doing so is prohibited by law.  (In other words, compliance with the law supersedes compliance with IANA policy, and IANA policy supersedes ARIN policy.)
>
> My rationale for this statement is as follows: The IANA function is provided by ICANN under contract with the NTIA/DoC, having taken over responsibility from DoD etc.  As such, in the US at least, the IANA has some delegated authority that ARIN does not have.  ARIN is subject to that authority, whether or not a formal relationship (i.e. contract) exists between ARIN and IANA.

Benson -

  When ARIN was created, on its first day of operation, it had only
  "legacy allocations".  The Whois database was transferred by NSI
  (Network Solutions Inc) to ARIN as NSI had been performing these
  services as part of the InterNIC cooperative agreement up till this
  point. The transition of these responsibilities to ARIN (and release
  of NSI from these duties) was done with the consent of the National
  Science Foundation (which was the contracting agency for these tasks
  at the time)  Jon Postel, the IANA at the time, was part of the team
  that formed ARIN and was an ex-officio member of the initial Board.

  After the IANA function was contracted to ICANN by the US Dept of
  Commerce (the current contracting agency for these tasks), the RIRs
  and ICANN entered into an agreement whereby the RIRs would serve the
  function of of ICANN's Address Supporting Organization, responsible
  for "global number resource policy development". In your proposal,
  you might consider some way to reconcile acknowledging ICANN/IANA's
  policy authority while not acknowledging the NRO/RIR policy authority
  without contradicting the RIRs serving under agreement as ICANN's
  policy body for Internet number resources.  I believe that would
  significantly strengthen the policy proposal if that is your goal.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO